What do you need do know about engineered wood flooring

- Apr 06, 2020-

Engineered Multiply vs 3-ply

Engineered wood floor constructed with hardwood veneer on top of the plywood is called multiply engineered wood. While hardwood veneer on top of 2 layers of other soft wood is called 3-ply engineered wood floor. In hardwood floors, more layers do not necessarily translate into better performance. The balance and bonding of each layer should be taken into consideration first and foremost.

Lock vs Tongue & Groove

The two most popular styles used today for floating wood floors are the click together and tongue and groove style planks.

Click lock engineered hardwood offers a glue-less installation by a self lock system on each plank. This increases the speed of installation and also offers a hidden benefit down the road. Repairs are easier with the click together style because of the fact that you can remove the damaged planks by means of un-clicking and reinstalling each plank.

Repairing Tongue & Groove wood floors can be tricky, considering the floor planks are glued together with hardwood flooring glue. However, Tongue & Groove engineered hardwood is more common because they are compatible with more forms of installation. These other methods include nail-down or glue-down.

Thick and Thin Veneer

The top layer (veneer) of an engineered floor is called the wear layer. The thickness of wear layers varies from paper thin 0.6 mm to super thick 6 mm. Some of these wear layers can be refinished numerous times, while others should never risk sanding through the veneer. When looking at samples, view a side profile of the hardwood to determine the thickness of the wear layer. Hardwood veneers are a heavy influence on the cost of engineered wood production.